Navigation Bar Tabs

Monday, May 6, 2019

Three Days Without Touching Instagram



During the last week of April, I was engulfed with events I wanted to attend, work, group projects, a paper, applications, and everything else in between. As a result, I took three days off of Instagram. The result of that: I can truly be off of social media if I wanted to.

As most of us, we resort to social media to kill time between classes, when we get bored, and to keep up with what's happening with other people's lives. I do that and plus to keep up to date with what's happening on CSUF campus. But after stepping back from using Instagram, I realized how much time I spent on it. I set a time limit to using Instagram, a 50 minutes each daily for a while now, but I must admit, I usually go pass that. However, when I don't and really listen, I feel a sense of victory, a mini victory.

Don't get me wrong, social media platforms are the best. I don't only use it to keep up to date with friends and such, but I also use it to spread awareness such as mental health or spread the word of causes or situations I am wholeheartedly advocating for. It's a great tool to utilize, but at times, I stumble a spiral or only use it just because.

Without Instagram for three days was honestly amazing. I didn't really care about what was going on with other people's lives as I had to focus on my own and get my work done. I felt more focused and more productive and efficient with my time. You may feel the fear of missing out (FOMO) but once you jump off the social media train, you will feel free and more in tune with yourself.

I challenge all of you to take some time off of any apps or platforms you use, just for even one day (unless you need it for work or something important then I suggest doing this another time). See how it changes your perspective and your day. It's always nice to take a break, just like taking a break from work or your studies. It's the same thing. Just with social media platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment